The German Language
- The German language is spoken in a number of countries in West, Central and Eastern Europe.
- About 100 million people in Europe use German as their main language. After English, it is the second most spoken second language in Europe, and is one of the premier business languages.
- It is spoken widely as a first language in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein.
- German is one of the official languages of the European Union, and one of the three working languages of the European Commission, along with English and French.
- German is the secondly most commonly used scientific language, and the second most used content language for websites.
German in India
- In India, German has been a very popular language at the College level, particularly with Engineering students in fields as diverse as Automotive, Mechanical, Biotechnology and Electronics & Communication.
- This stems from the fact that there are strong possibilities of further studies in German universities for Engineering students. Such education is highly subsidised, making quality higher education available at an affordable price.
- Germany is also very open to providing employment opportunities and work visas to tech workers from other parts of the world, including India.
- Universities and employers in Germany often place a lot of emphasis on prior knowledge of the German for students and job seekers.
- In the corporate sector, India has a number of German MNCs with joint venture interests, including Bajaj Allianz, Henkel, Daimler Chrysler, Adidas Marketing, the BOSCH Group, BASF, Carl Zeiss and several others.
- As in the case of French and Spanish, the emerging BPO and Call Centre businesses in India have further fuelled the demand for those with knowledge of German.
German at INaWORD India
Courses in German at INaWORD that will help students to develop their skills are as under:-
- INaWORD Flair – for adults. German training courses at different levels commence frequently, both on weekdays and weekends, in preparation for CEFR exams which are scheduled in Chennai several times each year.
- INaWORD Affinity – German language courses for corporates, with cultural appreciation modules, in addition to language skill-building.
- INaWORD Junior – “out of interest” German classes for school children.